Macros

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Macros

Post by Crucible on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am

So I started looking at the macro system for Aion a little bit. I'm not in to creating macros that will allow me to walk away from my computer and watch TV while I level but I do like to have one key combos set up and things like that. I found the basic data here for anyone else that's interested. My first step is trying to determine what the global cooldown time is between using one skill and being able to use the next (ie. for WoW it was 1.5 seconds) and then I can set up some simple macros to initiate flying and moving forward in one button push. Or stacking Runes in combat with one push etcetc and so on.

On a side note I went and bought myself a Nostromo n52te today so I can work on keybinding all my attacks and such and no longer click icons on my quickbars to do things. Should make PvP better (I hope). I've wanted one for quite a while now but was balking at the price and whether or not I could afford to throw away the money. Fortunately BestBuy price matches and Walmart had it for $49 (instead of the usual price of $75) so I convinced myself that was ok to spend.
Crucible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Macros

Post by Kiara on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 am

been reading around a bit, and several people(aionsource :/ ) seem to think there is no global cooldown. only cooldown being the animation, which can be shortened with the mellee version of cast speed plus.

hope that helps some.
Kiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crucible on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 am

Hmmm interesting thought. If that were the case I could set a delay between attacks equal to my weapon speed (as a basic guideline) and macro several attacks together. Unless I misunderstand the purpose of weapon speeds in Aion. Suspect

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Crucible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiara on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:18 am

Ya, wish I could be more clear, but with the source being what it was.......
But, ya could do an easy test, get two skills that cooldown decently fast, macro them without any delays. check result, then increase the delay by increments if need be.
Kiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiara on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:24 am

From Neb, on Aionsource.com
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/mechanic-analysis/18222-spellcasting-gcd-information.html

Code:
Since the NA Betas many posts have come up complaining about a perceived casting bug, this however is a false claim. There is no bugs with casting or animations, what you all are seeing is the effects of a dynamic combat staggering system. Unlike a general GCD system, Ala WoW, this game is not limited by a GCD System, the sooner you all get this the sooner this will all make much more sense.

The game limits you with Animations and residual animations, they are meant to be there, the reason this game has so many flashy animations is to provide a dynamic staggering of combat. This acts in some ways as a GCD but you cannot expect it to work exactly like every other GCD you've seen before. This is a different system, with different limitations and different adaptations required. You cannot expect this system to change to YOUR wants and needs, you have to adapt to it.

If you have noticed, chain spells have a very small "animation cooldown time" into which you can cast your next spell or move, other spells with 2/3 second long casts take up more animation space, ON PURPOSE, this is both during and after the casting of the spell. This isn't a bug, this isn't lag, it's a mechanic. It's a design decision to stagger combat in a dynamic way that isn't a set amount (like 1.5 sec)

I'll give some examples of this to give people a better idea of what is going on:

For Sorcerers I'll use the Flame Bolt Chain and Ice Chain for an example

When you cast Flame Bolt II(2sec) and follow it up with it's secondary chain Blaze(Instant), there will be almost no animation cooldown before Blaze is cast.
Now, if you cast Flame Bolt II(2sec) and follow it up with Ice Chain(2sec), you will notice a small ~.5 to ~.8 seconds of residual animations before Ice Chain is cast.

This is not something that they will change, at least not by release, it is a BASE mechanic, it's something the game has been designed around. If you want this to change, you're going to have to look into quite the distant future if you want a complete rework of the combat system, which is what changing would be.

Hope this helps some people understand what is going on with casting and the like, and before you all jump on a caster-hate bandwagon, melee classes are also staggered by animations as well.
Kiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crucible on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:48 am

Yeah I started reading that post as well. The thing that (almost) immediately came to my mind is this. If you have to set a delay between attacks the in-game macro system only allows for deleys in whole seconds (ie. 1 , 2 , 3 , etc.) So even if it were as simple as basing delays on weapon speed that won't work because I'd need to use a 2 second delay for my 1.2 second weapon speed daggers. The end result being a loss of DPS because I'd be wasting 0.8 seconds between every attack. I'll keep reading.
Crucible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiara on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:52 am

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this game use the auto-attack system? Meaning you select attack once, and it keeps attacking for you, while you choose skills.
Kiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crucible on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:56 am

Yes, true. I was using "attacks" to indicate "skills" Calling Fang Strike a skill and not an attack is confusing to my poor old brain Wink

Of course if what you're getting at is that skills aren't based off our weapon speed and instead this "animation cooldown" then it becomes even harder to predict the delay needed and only being able to use whole seconds of delay in a macro means wasting DPS time. Probably just best to bind wach skill to a key and forget about mqacroing multiple skills to one keybind.
Crucible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akaara on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:33 am

I don't think that any of the skills are based on attack speed but on cooldown times and chaining. The attack speed I think is only for regular attacks. At least, that seems to be what I'm seeing.
Akaara

View user profile http://aawhystine.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top